There’s always something inspiring about the first of the month to me…It signifies a brand new opportunity to set goals and crush them.
January was hectic, mostly due to the move, but it was a great one nonetheless, full of reflection and growth, both personal and professional. Now that we’re more settled, my workspace is set up, and head is clear, I’m so ready to get to work. Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to get all my goals for the next upcoming year down on paper. I don’t know about you, but having these physically visible help me to hold myself accountable 😉 Here we go!
My goals for this year are:
- Revamp my blog. This is a big one for me! Quite possibly #1 on my list. You all know how much I adore this little blog of mine so naturally, I want it to evolve and grow with me. With that being said, this is my official announcement that I plan on creating a lifestyle section in the near future 🙂 I’ve been a content machine lately, but a lot of my ideas don’t fall under the category of travel. Therefore, in order to keep from limiting myself, I want to expand the scope a bit. Keep an eye out for a lot of fresh posts and changes to the layout/design! YAY!
- Make money from my hobbies. Last year, I bought an item I’d been wanting for a while; the Cricut die-cutting machine. It has been SO much fun getting to know how to use it better, and although I still have a ton to learn, I’ve become halfway decent at personalizing items such as wine glasses, tumblers, plates, and notebooks. I would love love love to get to a point where I’m able to produce & sell them to others. There are a ton of craft fairs in PHX, so perhaps that’s something I can look into participating in somewhere down the line.
- Attend one conference. This one will be checked off come May thanks to Tyler, as he got me a ticket to TBEX for Christmas! It’ll be my first travel blogging conference, but not my last, I’m sure. I can hardly wait to network with others in the industry, and explore Hunstville a bit by myself 🙂 Anyone else going?
- Teach English as a Foreign Language ✔ I can happily say that I can already check this one off my list! Last week, I was hired for a 6-month contract with VIPKID, where I teach one-on-one English lessons to students in Beijing via the computer. I’m super excited to put my TEFL certification to good use, and in such a rewarding way!
- Develop a deliverable for my blog. You know – downloadable cheat sheets, guides, how-to freebies, that sort of thing. It’s just a matter of what kind. What would you all like to learn about from me? I’m all ears!
- Improve my marketing skills. I’m quickly learning that marketing is something that I both enjoy and am good at. It’s what most of my potential virtual assisting clients seek me out for, too. There’s always room for improvement, though, so I’d love to register for a course or two in brand development this year, and up my own marketing efforts as well.
- Take a trip to Havasupai Falls. Have you ever Googled the place?! Un.Real. I’m going this year if it’s the last thing I do, damn it!
- Visit 1 new continent this year. I’m trying r e a l l y hard to break away from my extreme Oceania fascination and go somewhere different. Thinking Europe – Flights are SO affordable to London right now on Skyscanner! New Zealand, Fiji, Indonesia… You’ll just have to wait for me a little while longer ;(
- Become knowledgable about Arizona tourism. This state is so stinkin’ beautiful; we’ve got every type of landscape imaginable (except coastal, of course) and because of that, I really want to become an authority in traveling here. I want to encourage people to come visit and see all that it has to offer. Many of my co-workers and friends weren’t even sure where it was on a map – We really oughta fix that!
- Plan a trip to the Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. Just because I’m a crazy animal lady & this place tugs at my heart big-time. It’s a no-kill animal sanctuary built into the middle of a canyon with 1,600+ homeless animals being loved and cared for. But wait, it gets better – The dog section is “Dogtown”, pigs live in “Piggy Paradise”, and horses reside in “Horse Haven”. I mean REALLY?! What could be cuter? <3 Honestly, I’d love to spend a week or so volunteering at the place, but one thing at a time 🙂
- See Los Angeles in all its’ glory. I’ve been to San Francisco and San Diego, so it’s only right that I visit LA at some point too! It is road trip distance, so honestly, it would be stupid not to.
- O Canada…Did you guys know that admission to all of Canada’s national parks this year are free?! GO TAKE ADVANTAGE! I actually found a flight to Calgary last night for only $232 round-trip, which has definitely got me thinking…
- Become an AirBnB host. I would absolutely LOVE to setup one of our spare bedrooms as an AirBnB listing. The families that we stayed with in Australia were so kind and helpful, it made me want nothing more than to return the favor!
- Pay off my Discover credit card. Ah, credit cards…Such a love/hate relationship. I have a handful and honestly have been really on top of keeping balances low, except for my Discover, for whatever reason. One of my major goals is to pay that baby off by the end of the year!
- Learn how to cook better. *Sigh* I’m not a Suzy Homemaker, I’m just not. I can make your basic recipes well, but I’d really like to venture out & learn more. So far, I’ve made chickpea tacos with roasted veggies and a few different pasta recipes. And last night, I made a chicken sausage, kale, and sweet potato dish that was DE-LISH. So I’m getting there!
- Attend 5 Meetups. Simply because I enjoyed the first one so much!
- Read 5 books. Ones for pure enjoyment and not personal development, because I am SO guilty of flocking to those at a bookstore. I recently scored The Secret Life of Bees for something like 50 cents at a Goodwill, so that’s first on my list. I’ve also had my eye on In A Sunburned Country for a while now too. Any other recommendations from my readers?!
- Finish planning my wedding. Actually, let me rephrase that – START planning my wedding! We were able to tour a gorgeous venue before we moved & it could quite possibly be the one. I have an appointment to get fitted for my dress in March and I do know what kind of color scheme I like. But aside from that, I’ve got nothin’. Wedding planning has been pushed so far down my to-do list lately. I really need to get a move-on with it pretty soon here!
- Make a habit of hand-writing letters. I love sending and receiving snail mail so much. Anyone with me?! I really want to make it a point to write letters and make little “thinking of you” gifts on my Cricut for friends and family back home. It’s important to let people know that they’re on your mind. We all could use reminders sometimes!
It sounds like a lot. But it’s achievable. Plus, you won’t know what you’re capable of if you never try!
I hope everyone’s year is off to a wonderful, productive, and fulfilling start! What are some of YOUR goals for this new year?
Travel more & work from anywhere!
It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?
Download my FREE guide, where I share my best tips for landing that first remote gig & incorporating more travel into your life!